Tuesday 12 February 2013

Hasta La Victoria Siempre ;)


My last blog entry was about a month ago, and honestly speaking…with uni work taking over I was finding it hard to find time to continue my blog and had actually given up. However, last week I went to Cuba Libre in Islington and thought I HAVE to write about this fantastic place in my blog!!! So here I am again writing…about delicious food and amazing places hehe ;) 

Last Thursday, I went to Islington with my one and only food-addict-sister Miru, in the search for a nice place for lunch. From the outside, Cuba Libre doesn’t look inviting at all, let alone like a good place to have lunch. We looked at the menu and decided to give it a go as the prices looked reasonable. As soon as you enter the restaurant you find yourself in a totally different place. As diverse as London may be, Cuba Libre still gave me a positive surprise when I walked in. You are greeted with Che’s iconic poster and beautiful dĂ©cor surrounding you from wall to wall. Pictures are worth a thousand words, and you can see from the photos that this place gives you a feel of being right in the centre of Latin America. Ohhh and not to forget the music…exciting every cell in you, while giving you a fun, relaxed atmosphere to enjoy. 


So us hungry girls started off with a few Tapas. You have a list of 18 Tapas to choose from, and their deals are very reasonably priced at 4 Tapas for £7.45 (lunch) and 6 Tapas for £14.95 (evening). We ordered some Roast Peppers, Spanish Omelette, Chorizo Sausage, and Mixed Salad. The 4 Tapas were more than enough for the 2 of us and quite filling. For the main, Miru orderedRopa vieja a la Cubana’, which is shredded braised beef in a sauce of herbs, onions, tomatoes and onions. Served of course, with delicious rice, Yucca (cassava) and Tostones (plantain). I ordered myselfEl plato Cubano’, a selection of Cuban specialities (pork, chicken, spanish sausage, shredded beef). With Moros y Cristianos (black beans and rice), Green Plantain, 
Peppers and Cassava on the side.

Both dishes, priced at £13.65, came in large portions and we had to take our time with the eating haha. Anyways, the food was absolutely beautiful. Most definitely the best Cuban food I’ve had so far in London!! The rice was fluffy and the meat very tender, cooked to perfection. Our ultimate favourite was the shredded braised beef in the sauce, just totally delicious! We were too full for dessert but the menu looked very tempting. From creamy Cuban Cream Caramel to delicious Orange Pannacota. And for those fruit lovers, they also offer bananas cooked Caribbean style ;) The bill came to £44 for the 4 Tapas, 2 Mains and 2 soft drinks. Not cheap but definitely worth a try if you want authentic, good quality Cuban food in Islington!!!



Cuba Libre is the place to be for a few drinks with colleagues after work, delicious meals and most definitely for a fun night out with scintillating music! ;) I’ll be going back again and again and definitely one of my top 5 restaurants in London! =D

Check out my Facebook for more pics ;)

 






No comments:

Post a Comment